“Our vision is to create a long lasting impact on the way we test and demonstrate new technology and solutions for the mining industry. With a selected consortium ranging from mining companies, equipment and system suppliers to top-class universities, the SIMS project will boost development and innovation through joint activities aiming at creating Sustainable Intelligent Mining Systems. We will achieve our objectives through a number of work packages and demonstrations split between industry leaders, innovative universities and technology leading underground mining partners.”
The session will comprise of five presentations:
- Morgan Rody from Epiroc Rock Drills AB. He will highlight the importance of Sustainable Intelligent Mining Systems (SIMS) which is a 3-year EU Horizon 2020 funded demonstrator project with 13 Partners and which focuses on Safe Underground Mine Automation. The project will be completed by April 2020. SIMS will produce a number of demonstrations, ranging from Battery Mining Machines to Underground 5G Communications to Improvements in Rock Bolting.
- Jan Gustafsson from Epiroc. He will present ‘Zero Emissions – Battery Mining Machines’ and how the three machines experts develop in SIMS will be the future ‘game changers’.
- Jenny Nordström from Mobilaris. She will present the ‘Underground Positioning’ component of SIMS and why this is vital not only for safety, but for mining efficiency.
- Sven-Olof Jonsson from Ericsson. He will present SIMS 5G in Underground Mining and the vitality of efficient and robust underground communication to safe and future autonomous mining machines.
- The final presentation will be on Outreach, or a variety of outreach activities, which are done in SIMS such as SIMS VR demonstration.